Monday, March 1, 2010

The Object of My Desire: Say Cheese

At first, I didn't understand what the smelly, crusty guy at the Round Top market in Texas was saying to me after I dug this mushroom platter out from underneath a pile of dirty, chipped plates and a plastic salad spinner. All I wanted to know was how much he wanted for this green, round tray decorated with three colorful mushrooms.

Huh? What? Who?

"He is asking you if you have mushrooms, you know 'shrooms -- hallucinogens," prodded my flea-market-partner-in-crime LeAnn Stephenson, better know in Blogland as The Vintage Laundress.

I was so deep in thought about how I had to have that disc of avocado goodness to complement a teak cheese tray I still have after all these years that his mumblings made absolutely no sense to me. My first memory of this wooden, made-in-Japan tray, which still lives in its cardboard, JC Penney box, is from a Thanksgiving day in the mid-'70s. My parents had just bought a got a color TV console, and my sister and I couldn't wait to see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in living color for the very first time.

We had relatives from Arkansas on their way, and as a special treat, I vaguely remember my mom cutting up a hunk of cheddar or some American slices, or maybe even squirting some Easy Cheese on Ritz Crackers to serve up on this festive tray.

I still use that JC Penney tray this day, so when I saw its potential partner at the flea market, I was so mesmerized that it's no wonder the guy thought I was high. I finally came to my senses to negotiate a price -- I think $1 -- and dreamily drifted away, most likely with a dopey grin glued on my face.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. Great tray and I love all that mushroom goodness! My daughter loves the 70's mushroom stuff so I am always on the lookout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that plate! And it was only a dollar? Score. I'm glad to know the '70s are alive and well in your cupboard.

    Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Member how I kept that tray hostage for awhile? I hope you are still thinking about coming to Round Top with me again at the end of March!
    xoxo,
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin