Friday, March 26, 2010

The Gift of Thrift: What's in a Name?

What happens to you when you do a Google search for your name?

When I type "Stan Williams," into the search box, quite often I am presented with the findings of a researcher from Hewlett-Packard, a thug who allegedly was also a gang leader, and this man who played for the Los Angeles Dodgers from 1958 to 1962.
Just the other day I re-discovered a prized vintage treasure that I used to keep on the wall of my office when I worked in fashion. Sent to me by garage sale guru Ruth Handel, this souvenir mini-poster, distributed by the Union Oil Co. of California, was painted in 1962 by a certain Nicholas Volpe, "one of America's most distinguished portrait painters," who also was known for his renderings of Academy Award winners.

I admit that I like sharing my name with this handsome Stan Williams. Not only was Stan a Major League Baseball player, but at the time this poster was distributed, he was a sporty type towering at a stately six foot and four inches! And he apparently was better known as "Big Daddy."

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant "Big Daddy" Thrifter


3 comments:

  1. Love that....a big baseball fan here and loving being abole to watch spring training on cable....smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to use "what's in a name?" for my name in my blog profile when I first started my blog...thinking no one needed to know my name to read my blog. Eventually I changed it out for my real name because it started to feel impersonal...I like your name. It is solid, easy to remember, reversible, and not terribly common...oh and you are better looking then the baseball player!
    :)Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. so fun... hope you had a great weekend... would love to go thrifting with you one day... i am sure we would have lots of fun! xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin