Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fabulous & Frugal Fun: Pineapple Perfection

If you invite me to your house, you can practically be assured that I'll have a pineapple upside-down cake in tow. A retro-riffic delicacy dripping with caramel and cheerily topped with bright, maraschino cherries. Back in September when I made cakes for Senor and Jonona Amor's wedding, I chose heart-shaped pans to make my pineapple delights.

The video I'm sharing with you today is one I made in Los Angeles baking in Ruth Handel's amazing kitchen. As you can see, I still had my 'stache and am wearing my baking attire: cut-off jeans and a cobra T-shirt. I've said it time and again, and it's absolutely true: people can't tell the difference between the cake I make that comes from a box and the one that make from scratch. I promise that the cakes you're looking at here were made from my favorite recipe that contains ground almonds. It's just that I left out all the mixing and measuring details to get right to the reveal.


Alway Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

8 comments:

  1. I am CRACKING up here...I have never been so intent on making sure that cake came out OK and you didn't scald yourself with hot caramel! That looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I met my husband 21 years ago he bragged about the pineapple upside down cakes he could bake. He still hasn't made me one! Your cake looks Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha great video!! It looks so yummy!! I've never actually tried pineapple upside down cake before but your beautiful version makes me realize I might be missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just picture you flying wiht one of these when you come to the C.H.&R~! Haha with your pineapple upside down cake, ANd my friend Brittani's "Casablanca Cherry Cake" (bet ya cant guess where that one gets its name!) you guys would be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! you're invited to the gilded barn anytime, I love pineapple upside down cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mick,

    I travel with just the pan! You've got an oven and I know you have a mixer! Get ready. We'll have a bake off! Stan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tasted your pineapple upside down cakes and they are delish!!!!! Livy girl can't get enough of them - we are all hopelessly addicted to you and the cakes!

    xoxo,
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin