Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fabulous & Frugal Fun: Loafing Around


When people ask me what I like to do most when I'm in Paris, my response often catches them by surprise: I like to wander -- just stroll around where ever my heart desires. I like it even better when a destination isn't set and I don't have to watch the clock to make an appointment or worry about someone else's timetable. The French have a wonderful noun that describes such a person -- le flâneur.

While in Paris I love to loaf about by myself, at home in New York, I often prefer having a companion in my quest for who-knows-what -- someone who might notice things that I miss every day or who can share in my love for the place I now feel like is my second hometown.

An out-of-town guest sometimes helps you see a landmark in a completely new light, discover a street you've never crossed or a re-discover a shop that you're used to passing every day.

I took these photos several days ago as my best LA garage saling
pal Ruth Handel and I sauntered through the Meat Packing District after walking along the spectacular High Line on Manhattan's West Side. (Can you believe I'd never been? It took having Ruth in town for me to take in its elevated elegance.)

I'm enchanted by the cut-out of Louis Armstrong toting his Louis Vuitton bag and the Charlie Chaplin missing his leg. And standing next to an outdoor art installation on the High Line is the most rare New York siting of all -- my dear Ruth in her borrowed coat and, thankfully, all limbs intact.
Oh, what a memorable day....

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinkin' Ruth should come to Round Top, too!
    xoxo,
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loafing around too...but in the SNOW and plenty of it...it's so nice to see the streets of New York..and actually see the streets!

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin