Saturday, January 9, 2010

Saturday Surprise! I'm in the Driveway...Again

Last summer while doing events in the Kansas City-Independence, Missouri, area for The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details, I joked that I was thrown in thousands of driveways when the Independence Examiner ran a front-page story about the book accompanied by this huge picture.

Well, they're at it again. Now I doubt I made the cover this morning, but once again Adrianne DeWeese, a reporter at my hometown newspaper, wrote a fantastic story about how to get comfortable with shopping in thrift stores.

Click here to read the story. And yes, I once again talk about sniffing your potential purchase for offensive odors! Do you always do that? I know I do!

Happy Saturday!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous (sniff, sniff)!

The Elegant Thrifter

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations (again)! And YES, I do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article Stan! I used to only buy glass and china, wood etc. Nothing soft because of the yuck factor. I am much more open to everything now. I recently found a Thomasville custom upholstered sofa from the late 60's early 70's era with embroidered medallions on the cushions, pale green and lavender. I got it at an estate sale for $20.00! It is currently in use in the basement family room but I have serious upholstery plans for it, I just couldn't bear to tear up the pretty upholstery yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Stan! And No not always....I guess I should but I've been pretty lucky so far! sniff
    sniff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great read, thanks for sharing!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. How absolutely wonderful and I am all over the tips. Cheers, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! Haha and YES the Sell factor can make or break a thrifting buy for me as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats awsome Stan! Lots of good tips too. I'm with you, the hunt is half the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay!
    and not only do i sniff thrift, i'm one of those obnoxious food-buffet sniffers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A magnet and matches. That way you can tell if something is steel or iron, or just potmetal. The matches can be used to tell if something is synthetic or natural, but you have to be careful... maybe use a lighter!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin