Thursday, January 21, 2010

Reuse & Repurpose: What a Cut-Up

If you're like me, you love a good sale. But if you're even more like me these days, your shopping, too, has been relegated to the window-gazing genre -- one that leaves a very thin wallet unopened.

Those eye-opening experiences do have their rewards, though. Take this sale sign made out of old magazine pages, for example, that I spotted in my neighborhood. I know you've seen this kind of crafty work before, but I admire the way its creator took a certain effort in choosing color-coordinated pages and strategically placing them in ways that call for further inspections. Why, do I see a collection of Mardi Gras beads sprinkled in there between the "S" and the "A" ? A woman in a white bikini with someone who looks like Mel Gibson and a guy doing a Michael Jackson dance in the "A?" A cowboy hiding out in the letter "L?" Or a pair of blue sneaks dangling inside the "E?"

Despite the advertised low prices, I didn't even enter the shop, let alone make a purchase. However, I can say that I most certainly enjoyed the sale.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter




9 comments:

  1. swell. i think i'll have my kids cut up some mags & we'll do the letters of their names - need one more cabin fever craft & that's it. so, where WAS mj dancing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look carefully in the "A." I didn't notice it at first but there's a guy in an orange shirt and a hat busting a Michael Jackson move. Stan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing that out Stan. It's such a treat to see something creative when you're not looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool photo. I like the way the images on the letters interact with the reflections on the window and the merchandise inside the store. Sort of a collage within a collage within a collage.

    lurky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this fun bit of graphic design. I love the subtle details in this collage.

    Sometimes I feel guilty feasting my eyes on well designed, craft boutique displays- but this year is about reusing what you have and not accumulating more "Stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great collage idea! What a refreshing site that must be on a dreary winter's day.


    I am always so sad when I have to recycle my beautiful magazines and their fantastic art work (both editorial and ads) because I just don't have the room. So a few years ago, I lined underneath my bathroom sink counter cabinets with beautiful heavy-papered supplemental ads from VOGUE. Every time I open my cabinets I am treated to fabulous art work when I least expect it---which makes it all the more delicious.

    I like the green and white design in the letter "A"--invokes St. Paddy's Day to me. Can Spring be far behind?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun idea! I'm doing lots more window shopping nowadays... and always thrifting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool sign and clever shopping spotting the thriftiest style in the place.

    Jennifer Duchene

    ReplyDelete
  9. Based on that sign, I'd be inclined to go in and see what other creative ideas there may be.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin