Thursday, January 14, 2010

Reuse & Repurpose: A Light Beverage

Dim the lights, serve up a warming drink and sit for a spell. That's what went through my mind the other day as I was visiting The Rural Modernist and spied this collection of lighting made out of old beverage containers.

Crafted by Chicago artist Ted Harris, these beverage beauties were on display at the amazing urban antiques shop, Scout. Harris is known for taking other people's cast offs, such as old globes and masses of discarded light bulbs, and turning them into fabulous lighting structures. read about him in the New York Times here.

I can just imagine what Harris might be able to do with all these assorted vessels nestled atop my kitchen cabinets. There's my childhood cookie jar -- the one that my mom put in a box and mailed to my door in New York a few years ago; a metal Calvin Klein pitcher from my fashion days; and a Japanese looking vase that a friend once offered flowers in. And there's my thermos! It once belonged to a neighbor's husband who carried it to work every day. It's too tall for the space between the cabinets and the ceiling, so I set the cup on the cookie jar next to it. My parents bought the beverage carrie at her garage sale because it seemed to be labeled just for me.
Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter




5 comments:

  1. Those lamps would be perfect in a man's den or a boy's bedroom...
    __
    Barbara
    http://ifididnthaveasenseofhumor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I love those! And, a bit embarrasingly, I use 2 of those and think of them as "recent." Looking at them honestly, I have to admit I bought the 2 thermos bottles, nearly 3 decades ago. Maybe it's time to turn them into lamps! Thanks for your inspiration and sharing your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stan,
    I loved seeing the charming vessels and reading about your memories of them! I completely forgot to answer your question about the recipe for the lemon cake I made. The recipe is here:
    http://www.linesfromlinderhof.com/2009/12/lemon-curd-poundcake-for-holidays.html

    If you haven't visited Martha at Lines From Linderhof, you must! You'll be glad you did. ;)

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a charming idea - and what an easy one to replicate at home!!!
    Toma

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin