Monday, January 25, 2010

The Object of My Desire: Give Me More

It's impossible for me to pass an Eiffel Tower in a New York shop window without snapping its picture to remind me of my favorite city on earth. This tower, which appears to be made of metal, wire and light bulbs, stands proudly in the Alan Moss Studios, projecting stately Parisian grandeur from its glorious perch.

Combined with the malachite-green wall and the gold framed mirrors, I was immediately reminded of the legendary interior, movie-set and jewelry designer Tony Duquette, a man who I think would have happily raided an 99-Cent Store for window props or trolled the beach for washed up detritus and turned them into glowing decorative accessories.

In the most recent Tony Duquette book, "More is More," by Hutton Wilkinson, it tells how the designer once made mandalas out of "strips and thongs from rubber sandals, horseshoes, seashells, nut shells, bits of a white plastic wastepaper basket, strands from a dismantled gold plastic purse and metal juice squeezers."

Now I'm most certain that this is not a Dollar Store creation, being that it is twinkling in the vitrine of one of New York City's most pricy antiques stores. Even so, this glamorous Eiffel Tower shows how a shimmery finish of gold and a sparkly addition of carefully places lighting can turn the simplest looking materials into a world-class attraction.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter


Be sure to tune in to Gasp. Swoon. Faint. tonight at 7 p.m. as I chat with The Broke Socialite on her fabulous radio show. Visit us here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/gasp-swoon-faint/2010/01/26/the-broke-socialite-chats-it-up-with-the-elegant-thrifter





2 comments:

  1. This is definitely worth gasping, swooning and fainting over! Amazing!

    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I have something similar rigged up (although on a much smaller scale I'm sure) in my living room.
    This definitely would have caused me to pause and aadmire.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin