Monday, January 18, 2010

The Object of My Desire: A Favorite Photo

I have to admit that when Michael from Cul-de-Sac Shack and then Mick over at Everyone Goes to Mick both tagged me in a "meme" to post my favorite picture, I felt like I had just received an annoying piece of chain mail. I almost declined participating, but then I didn't want to let down my good blogging pals Michael, a fellow Missourian, and Mick, a go-getter whose non-stop energy I wholly admire, so I started pondering favorite photos

I thought of all of the beloved images in my book The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details, the pictures of me with Dolly Parton (Her birthday is tomorrow!), some funny Christmas shots and snaps with family and friends who no longer walk the earth. But then this photo glided into my thoughts.

I had no trouble locating it because I think of it often and keep it in a safe place. In fact, it came to mind a couple of weeks ago as I watched Dad swinging my two-year-old nephew in his arms and singing him to sleep. Taken in 1967, this photo shows my sister and me atop our rocking horses with dad trying to get us to go to sleep. As you can see, my sister is conked out, but I'm still awake. I love my dad's striped pajama legs and just imagine that he was having a dickens of a time getting us to nod off. And isn't my dad handsome? I certainly wish I had hair like his now.

I do cherish this photo even though I don't recall it being taken. I do, however, remember our rocking horses and my father's loving touch that was always so present.

So, now to the business of tagging:

LeAnn at The Vintage Laundress (I love having my picture taken with you.)

Sonya at Dime Store Thrift (I can't wait for the moment you and I have our photo taken together.)

Heidi at Kitschen Fest (The pictures of our future potluck in Kansas City are gonna' be good.)

Pam at Frippery (You have such an eye and your own photographic work is divine.)

Jonona at Jonamor Decor (Ah! The photos of your work in The Find continue to inspire. Couldn't have done it without you!)

So tag! You're it!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

9 comments:

  1. What an absolutely charming picture... and you're adorable on that rocking horse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you were tagged! I am LOVING that picture! And then...my heart stopped when I realized that *I* just got tagged:)
    I am willing to take on the challenge simply because I adore thee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that pic - - the hobby horse is as cute as the tyke on it. nothing like a good, lazy fam pic to take you back.

    tagged?! let me know when you're kc bound - that'll be swell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stan that is the sweetest picture... brings a new meaning to being rocked to sleep. You can just feel the desperation of a father left in charge and just praying for his babies to go to sleep and doing whatever it takes to make that happen (love the little pillow to rest your head)... I got such a chuckle out of this photo. Your Dad looks so caring and gentle that is so sweet to see. Surely a memory to cherish.

    Hugs Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful scene! I can see why you cherish that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great picture, Stan! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How Nice. : ) See, it wasnt that bad now was it Stan?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even as a kiddo you were a darlin' creature! What a dear picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great picture! Sounds like you have a great (and handsome) dad.
    By coincidence I posted some old black and white pictures of my mom in
    when she was a teenager that I just love in honor of Mother's Day. Please check them out, www.gonethrifting.blogspot.com, I'm quite proud of them and excuse my sentimentality.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin