Friday, January 1, 2010

The Gift of Thrift: Happy New Year!


I'm always amazed when someone throws what all say is a fantastic event or travels to an exotic corner of the world and there are no photos! No photos? For me, photos of beloved places, people and creations -- especially when they are easily accessed digitally -- are comforting and inspirational. They bring me closer to loved ones far away, remind me of my accomplishments and instantly take me on a world tour to all the places I love.

A photo, other than a heartwarming memory, is probably the least expensive souvenir one can take home and keep forever. But isn't it funny how we think we remember a situation and then look at a photo and realize an extra person in the group or a strange item poised oddly in the frame? I always try to have a camera with me at all times since it never fails that I fall upon a perfect photo op when I don't have one of my digital cameras (I have two: a tiny one that slips in my pocket and a larger SLR type) in my possession. I love touring the world from my sofa as the snow falls outside my window. I visit my family in Independence, Missouri; dear friends in Croatia and California; and jet off to my favorite destination on the planet: Paris.

Don't let this photo fool you: I'm in New York City today. But as I project on the new year that has arrived, I remind myself of the places that always inspire and revive, the people with whom I never seem to spend enough time, and all the new ideas, fun projects and fabulous adventures that I am open to receive....and share.

Have a happy and healthy 2010.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Stan! This is a lovely photo of you. I wish you many blessings and happy thrifting for the New Year!

    Warmly,
    LuLu Kellogg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too often guilty of forgetting to snap photos and regretting my lack of recall later. As I get older it seems that photos are much cherished items. For the very first time (sad) I received a camera for Christmas. I will be clicking my way through 2010 will great abandon! Thanks for commenting on my blog yesterday Stan. Your words were so kind. I wish you great happiness and yes, thriftiness, in 2010. You have a magnificent blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Stan... here I thought you were on another exciting adventure... but at least you have your wonderful memories to carry with you.
    Hope your year is a blessed one and all your wishes come true.

    Hugs Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Stan! "Meeting" you in 2010 is one of my personal highlights.

    Though I always have a camera, I am a horrible photographer. One of my goals this year is to take a class to improve my photos.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year Stan!
    Great photo of you with your favorite Paris in the background.
    Wishing you a fabulous and thrifty 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I love taking photos, I admit that names elude me! I easily recall general locations and the approximate year, but the names of people and specific locations (cities, buildings, etc.) are problematic!!

    Wishing you all the best in the new year! So glad to know you!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aloha, enjoying your posts,
    looking forward to a great 2010
    Wishes,
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin