Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Find: A Masterful Mix


As I gazed into the masterful windows of New York's emporium of good taste, ABC Carpet & Home, I took note of a scenario that looked like it could have been included in my book The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details.

Even though the clear glass and metal tones project a sense of unity, you'll notice when you look closely that hardly anything comes from the same set. Among the flatware there's one tiny fork with a mother-of-pearl handle among designs that range from positively Victorian to artistically contemporary. Why I bet toward the right side, there might even be a piece of stainless steel!

A mix-and-match set of silverware creates an element of surprise every time you set your table. It's fun to look at the indications that mark each piece, divining where it might have traveled or what happened to the rest of its set mates These shiny old utensils might have traveled on an old cruise ship or resided in a long-gone hotel. Or they may have been placed at a grand table many decades ago. No matter where they've spent their past lives, when these mismatched pieces are brought together, they excite the eye and bring a sophisticated taste of history forward.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

7 comments:

  1. I SO agree about the intrigue and beauty of mismatched pieces! I think I'll go lay some of my own mismatches out just to look at as I pass by during the day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my favorite thing - mismatched! What a lovey image that is - thanks for sharing - wonderful post as usual, too!!

    xoxo
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is how I set my table. New and old, even gold and silver, all tease and tempt the eye! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This idea of mixing is very inspiring to me.
    I'll try too.
    A greeting

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good mix! We'll be visiting NYC twice this year, and I can't wait to check out ABC Carpet and Home

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only use black and white dishes. I get them at thrift stores and none of them match and if any of them break, it doesn't matter. Big and small, they make a statement when I open the cabinet door.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh...black and white mismatched I love that, i can bet it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin