Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Fabulous & Frugal Fun: A Tough Nut

Spotted on my dad's work bench in the garage:

I couldn't help but take a picture of this vintage nut cracker -- one that looks like my dad paid $4.49 somewhere. It was made by the Arthur R. Reed Manufacturing Co., in Little Rock, Arkansas, and newer versions of this device are still on-sale today.

I've never seen my dad use this machine, but I'm certain he does, since he's not they kind of guy to hold on to things he doesn't use. It looks like a pretty serious contraption, so he must have had a major nut-cracking job to complete. Based on its looks, I imagine that this "ruggedly built" gadget would make a loud blast when cracking a shell and then propel its contents into the next county!

And then, for some reason, the words to a song that in a bizarre way match match another tune came into my head: "Nutcracker, Nutcracker, crack me a nut...."

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous (and quite often very silly!)

The Elegant Thrifter



4 comments:

  1. you're a nut ... and you "crack" me up!

    Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of anything anyone would want to get caught in there, sans a walnut! i love grandpa contraptions - charming stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen these but newer versions! I always wondered if they really work?? I buy my nuts shelled.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin