Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Fabulous & Frugal Fun: Repurposed Window Art

One of the best things about New York is that you don't have to spend a dime or go very far to be entertained. Whether it's a movie crew set up in the street, a fabulous find just lying on the curb or a whacky person putting on a show in the middle of traffic, oh yes, I've seen them all.

So yesterday morning while walking down Broadway, I passed the New York University Steinhardt School's windows only to be entertained by the repurposed art of Jennifer Gustavson. Read more about her here.

Now whose interest wouldn't be piqued by an installation called, "Great Black Hornet's Nest Underneath my Kitchen Table." But it was this lightbulb dangling over a chunk of amber wax that nabbed my eye. I love the way the bulb slowly melts the block with out a flame and creates a small puddle at its base.

As I walked on over to the next window, I was greeted by two thrift-store end tables placed back-to-back, holding a piece of plywood underneath a sort of "clothes line" draped with an array of everyday objects: a spackling bucket, a saw, a vinyl totebag. I'm particularly attracted the two wine glasses balanced base to base, thereby creating a new shape once put together. I'm not sure exactly what is confined in the bottom glass, but the creation is imaginative.

Just as in decorating a home with repurporsed and found objects, it's always refreshing to me when people use everyday objects and turn them into a real work of art.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

If you're looking for more decorating eye candy, stroll over to Design*Sponge and read its fabulous review of The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details.



2 comments:

  1. I have never been to New York before but perhaps one day. I love to people watch and that seems to be the place to do it!

    Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week Stan!

    LuLu Kellogg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan, Thanks for sharing these inventive works of art! One of my daughter's classes at UC's Fine Arts School this quarter consists entirely of art from discarded cardboard. So far a thrifted stool and stacked cardboard have turned into sculpture with cardboard stalactites.She is in the midst of stacking and laminating cardboard to be sculpted with a lathe into an oversized chess set. I am enjoying the transformation of discard into art.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin