Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fabulous & Frugal Fun: On Deck!

There's nothing that makes me long for those sunny, summer days more than the frigid, short spans of daylight that take over the winter months here in New York.

So intense was my desire to bring those lazy-daisy, warm-weather moments spent aboard The Luxor to the present that I started gathering up items that reminded me of her and the way she gracefully creaks and moans as gentle waves rock her to and fro.

I remembered that in my kitchen cupboards sat a group of six vintage sailboat glasses, purchased for $5 at a thrift shop way out on Long Island. Next, I raided my linen drawer in search of a nautical themed tablecloth that I picked up for $1 at a garage sale in LA. I'm especially attracted to this bright and cheery cloth because it's specifically made for a deck table, measuring only about four by four feet.

And then I reached for an adorable metal cocktail stirs whose shiny finish accents the shiny trim of my drinking glasses. Those golden vintage treasures were a gift from the delightful Andrea Prestridge in Austin, Texas.

I gathered up all my nautical treasures and set them up in my apartment as if I were going to serve a tray (a vintage Couroc of Monterey with inlaid coins, which was a gift from interior designer Randall Beale) of iced tea to guests visiting our old 1966 Chris Craft bobbing in marina on Fire Island. And as the sun streamed through my Western windows illuminating my summertime table, for a moment, I felt I was there, too.

Pull up a captain's chair and join me for a while, won't you?

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

7 comments:

  1. $5, $1 - I so need to go shopping with you. I'm mixing my proverbial cocktail (hmm, perhaps a Nantucket seems appropriate?) and pulling out my cocktail stirrers! One of my favorite summer party accessories is a set of cocktail stirrers I picked up in Copenhagen. They are silver with giant heavy balls (like weights) at the end of them. But what makes these stirrers awesome, is that you plunk them in your freezer before using and those giant silver balls, become tres elegant "ice cubes" to chill your drink! Years later on another trip to Denmark I also picked up a glass set with the same functionality!

    Cheers Mate!
    Toma, aka The Antiques Diva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Permission to come aboard! I love those glasses. I have several sets, with various designs (my fav is paisley). Now I'll be looking for sailboats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, what a great escape! I just love all your nautical finds. I found a glass decanter with a ship engraved on it at The Salvation Army a few weeks back. Now I'm on the lookout for your glasses!!
    Cheers!

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. That took me away...just for a few moments...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those glasses are fantastic. Santé!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, sooo fabulous and summery! I so enjoyed my one visit to the Luxor, I know that you must be having such a fabulous time as soon as the weather warms... xo Karen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin