Thursday, December 17, 2009

Reuse & Repurpose: Shiver Me Timbers!

Nothing gives me the happy holiday shivers more than spying Christmas trees fashioned out of re-purposed objects. Such was the case the other day as I was walking down Broadway in a downpour and gasped on viewing this book tree in the window of Brooklyn Industries, a retailer that sells cool clothes and always features vintage displays on its sales floor.

Crafted out of colorful old books, this holiday fantasy is built around a frame of re-purposed wood. Each tome is attached to the frame by a screw driven through each book's back jacket. The whole festive creation sits on top of an old air conditioner just in case you need an instant arctic blast.

If that weren't enough, while perusing one of my favorite blogs, Frippery, Pam Kern, the creative genious over there, stunned me off my chair with her fabulous tree decorated with vintage, souvenir ashtrays. What's more, she tempted me with one from the Show-Me-State of Missouri, which happens to be where I'm from and will spend Christmas.

Pam's ashtrays reminded me of buying these little souvenirs on family vacations even though nobody in our family smoked. Her collection strung on a tree adds a subtle shiny patina that on closer inspection tells a state-side story.




Always Frugal, Always Fabulous (and still trying to figure out what to do with my tree!)

The Elegant Thrifter



7 comments:

  1. Both the "book Christmas tree" and ash tray ornaments are incredibly fascinating! Who would have thunk it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I really love the book tree~ how cool in a shop like that!
    Happy Holidays to you!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Stan, Thanks so much for posting my ashtray tree. I am thrilled to have a mention on your blog as I am always inspired by visiting. You have made my week! It's like an early Christmas gift. Now I have to go brag to all my friends about my brush with fame, woo hoo! Hugs and Merry Christmas, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam is an incredibly gifted and talented woman with just the most over the top imaginatiion. I loved her "up in smoke" tree too! She never fails to knock my socks off!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam is a wonderful FIND.....I was lucky to meet her last year and I am a regular reader of her fabulous blog.....so glad you found her too!!!! That tree out of books is just too great for words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the book tree and Pam's ashtray tree!

    I am off to visit her Blog now :)

    Happy Holidays Stan,
    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book tree is so clever. I'm off to visit Pam at Frippery, I've never been to her site before.
    Enjoy your Missouri Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin