Monday, December 28, 2009

The Object of My Desire: A Wooden Wonder













It's impossible for me to wander into Sharleen Reeder's jewel of a shop, Luticia Clementine's on the historic Independence Square, and leave without a treasure tucked under my arm. Last week's visit with Sharleen not only produced this McGraw Box Co. trinket box that dates back to the late 1920s or early 1930s, but it also provided a memory charged Christmas wrap for the special person I intended it for.

When my sister and I were little, Mom and Dad read us the entire series of Little House series of books by Laura Ingalls Wilder before we dropped off to sleep each night. We listened to stories about snow storms, first days of school and dancing to the tune of Pa's fiddle. This whimsical wooden cabin, complete with a cardboard interior decorated with drawings of a roaring fireplace, a bearskin rug on the floor and snowshoes mounted on the wall, brought back all those warm memories from so many years ago.

I packed my little house with gifts I intended for Mom's stocking -- a set of coasters printed with Parisian scenes; a metal bird purchased in Zagreb; some John Derian magnets I bought at Target -- and wrapped it all up in a glittery green bow of Crate & Barrel ribbon I paid 25 cents for 20 yards at a local Kansas City Goodwill.

As this miniature log cabin rested under a twinkling tree, the snow fell outside in frosty veils as the wind whipped up white, sparkly swirls. And like the family in those magical storybook tales, we, too, were all warm and cozy inside our childhood home.



Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!
The Elegant Thrifter




6 comments:

  1. swell gift. i love anything half-pint inspired! when the weather turns, i must make a pilgrimage to independence...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect gift. That box is so charming! I have never seen one like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the box and what a great idea to fill it with gifts! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute box - I found your blog through Shara at Monkeybox and plan to visit often. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful and very thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin