Friday, December 18, 2009

The Gift of Thrift: Fresh from the Laundry

As you know may know, LeAnn Stephenson, The Vintage Laundress, and I are like kindred spirits. When we get together not often enough, it's like we're long-lost kin playing a fast-and-furious catch-up. That was the case when I...ahem...worked in her booth during the Texas Round Top market this fall promoting my book The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details. While I was helping her tidy up her booth (with a glass of blush wine in hand....it was hard work, I promise!), I pulled together a mix-and-match collection of Christmas napkins and stashed them under the table.

During all of our sweat-inducing hard labor (ie. finding a bottle opener, gossiping about shoppers, eating mounds of Tex-Mex, popping open Diet Dr Peppers), I must forgot to take my special stash with me back to New York.

So when my birthday rolled around in October, what should arrive at my door but a pretty pink box wrapped in an innocent, white satin ribbon. I savored every moment of revealing this gift, for coming from LeAnn, you know it's sure to be packed with many a layer of surprise. Once the paper was removed, I inspected the mysterious box. Oh My Goodness! It was a solid, white container once holding a pair of silicone implants that her father-in-law had reserved for a patient by the name of Jena H, and her name was there in Magic Market right there on the box!

I shook the mystery package for safety and heard nothing but subtle shifting inside. I couldn't imagine what was inside! A boob? A bra? Or was the box a gift in and of itself? I was stumped. I slowly raised the lid and carefully peeled back the tissue only to be absolutely delighted by the holiday napkins that I left in LeAnn's booth.

I've waited until now to show off my fabulous holiday napkins that are the perfect, perky lift for celebrating the holidays!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter


7 comments:

  1. Those are GORGEOUS and what a funny post! I love that girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I can't wait to check out your book...I'm headed to the Barnes and Noble in Union Square today to check it out. I'm a huge fan of Housing Works, which is what caught my eye about your book, and am interested in learning more about/possibly working for a social enterprise organization like HW...I love how they've married style and thrift, which makes design accessible for those without a lot of money. And at the same time proving work and skill building for folks who need it.

    I'm originally from Texas, so it was so fun to read about your trip to the Lone Star State....I'm headed to Austin in March, so I will make sure to check out the Laundress shop.

    Thanks again for stopping by! I will definitely be following you from now on:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen vintage Christmas tablecloths galore, but never napkins. Those are beautiful, and I enjoyed the funny story to go with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet thoughtful gift. Much better than a box of boobs too! (I would keep that box though. Too funny)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just learned of this book via LeAnn and Apartment Therapy. Cannot wait to get my hands on a copy !!!

    xoxo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey you Darlin Creature,

    I miss your face and this post just makes it worse!! Thanks for making me look nice and thoughtful and junk - not to mention perverse with the "boob box" and all!

    I can't wait to see you in NYC in 10 days! I expect to share a few glasses of wine, some good gossip and lots of catching up!

    much love and Christmas kisses,
    LeAnn

    P.S. I posted a snippet about your Apartment Therapy thingy at the link below:
    http://thevintagelaundress.blogspot.com/2009/12/stan-tastic-news.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vintage Christmas linens are so much nicer than vintage boobs...I know that for a fact!
    What a lovely surprise!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin