Friday, December 11, 2009

The Gift of Thrift: A Bill and a Bow in a Box

A few weeks ago when my pal Marino Krstačić-Furić was in town from Rijeka, Croatia, he mentioned his futile search for the fabled $2 bill, a paper denomination so rare these days that Marino asked me if, in fact, it actually existed. Had he been told some Croatian/American urban myth?

I assured him that the rarely-seen bill did, in fact, show its Thomas Jefferson face on occasion even though I haven't had one in my possession for years. That was about to change in a couple of weeks when I made a purchase at a Walgreen's in Fort Lauderdale and the clerk gave me a $1 coin and a $1 bill as part of my change. When I turned my nose up at the $1 coin, she said that she didn't have any more paper dollars in her till, and all she had was a $2 bill. "I want it!" I almost shouted.

I had just been passed the perfect gift to offer Marino on my own trip to Croatia just a few weeks later. I packaged the bill with a vintage bow tie in its original box that I paid 50 cents for at a synagogue rummage sale in Queens. It originally came from the old Klein's department store in New York and has "Made in the USA" stamped in red in the right-hand corner of its original box.

I always find it frustrating to find gifts for friends outside of The United States because hardly anything that I can afford or that strikes my fancy is made in this country. So I was especially pleased to offer this vintage, state-side goodie that cost me a grand total of $2.50!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter




9 comments:

  1. As always - so personal, so simple, so elegant, so frugally fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How PERFECT was that?! My father in law is in love with $2 bills and gives them to the kids every time he visits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was total Kisment that the clerk had a $2 bill!

    I am off to plunder other people's treasures this morning at the local thrift shop!

    Happy Thrifting!!

    LuLu Kellogg :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour! Just wanted to say thank you for stopping by and following my blog. I love your concept of being an 'elegant thrifter'. I've really enjoyed going through all your fabulous posts here, the video you did on in Croatia a few posts back was very well done! I'll be following you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great gift! Love the bow tie and the $2 bill...perfect. You are a very thoughtful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marino's response was priceless. He truly didn't believe that a $2 bill existed....it was sort of like a snipe hunt for him! And the bow-tie was also a surprise. When he was visiting in October, he wanted to buy one and told him not to, as I I knew I had a stash somewhere but couldn't locate it before he left. The two turned out to be the perfect gift at the perfect price!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a positively wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Stan...this had to be the BEST gift EVER!!!!
    You are sooooo good~
    everything vintage

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin