Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Find: A Winter Diversion

There's something irresistible about the simplicity of a beach cottage -- one practically under-decorated with finishes that have faded under the sun's constant caress and textures speckled and splotched by the salty air's kiss.

Since today I'm in chilly Kansas City, I thought I'd share some heartwarming images that I photographed on the Fire Island community of Saltaire while doing research for The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details.

Mary-Ellen Weinrib, a home stylist who has spent her summers on Saltaire for more than 20 year, took me on a tour of her home and I snapped away inspiration that I haven't shown anyone until now -- a framed poppy canvas casually leaned on the mantle of a weathered fireplace, an intimate view through a painted screen door into a crisp-white guest room, or even the
lovely, washed-out family photographs that accentuate the setting of a brilliant sun porch.

As you gaze upon these summery images that influenced The Find, I wanted to share with you the news that Apartment Therapy Boston has named my labor of love the top design book of 2009.

It's because of beautiful places like these that Mary-Ellen shared with me and gracious supporters like you that The Find is an enduring reality.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter


4 comments:

  1. Heart-felt congratulations on yet another well-deserved honor! (Keep those summer views a'comin'!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Stan! These photos are lovely. Simplicity is so calming, especially at this over the top time of year. Thanks for sharing a bit of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your honor. It's nice to see that other people recognize just how special you and your book are.

    These photos of a neat summer house give me something to live for. Now that we're two days into winter and three days until Christmas, I'm longing for longer, warmer, lazier days.

    Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE, love the poppy canvas!! I wonder where that came from!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin