Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Find: One Tile at a Time

Words can be enchanting and encouraging, often helpful and sometimes hurtful. Maybe that's why a random mix of letters like those found on the tiles in a Scrabble board seem to provoke thought and inspire creativity wherever they are gathered.

I featured this photograph by Jim Franco in The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Store Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details because I was charmed by the way Yasmine McGrane from Maison Rêve carefully sorted vowels and consonants to offer welcoming words to a visitor or randomly grouped them in a vintage apothecary jar.

(Recently, though, one critic of The Find noted that bonne nuit wasn't correctly spelled in French. That is true in this picture, but anyone who's ever played Scrabble knows that you can only have seven tiles on your rack, and that there's probably an open ne just waiting for the bon moment!)

Deb over at Proper Prim had no trouble finding the right letters in a set of children's building blocks to set a joyful laundry theme that she displayed in front of a jar teeming with scrambled letters and a jumble of wooden clothes pins.

She perfectly placed the right letters together to turn the idea of a daily chore into a whimsical task full of colors that will never run.

The Los Angeles Times recently printed some funny words about me in its holiday survival guide. Read about how to handle drunk party guests and decline a holiday party right here!



Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter


7 comments:

  1. I am totally loving your blog .I found you by accident (like most of my favorite things) whilst on a hot Aussie evening blog hop.I shall howeber be keeping you though on purpose anyone who does a post on scrabble tiles and random words is my kind of blogger.(this coming from a woman with a huge jar of dice and another of scrabble tiles -why ? cause i needed them of course )
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan I just about fell out of my seat and couldn't believe my eyes when I popped in for my usual daily visit to see what you are up to...what a wonderful surprise to see my jar on YOUR blog... I am honoured and thank you, you just made my day.

    Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stan you are a hoot.
    Now why are critics so silly... ?? How petty.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been hunting Scrabble games for the little tiles for jewelry. After I saw your book I wanted more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stan,
    First of all, love the post! I adore the notion of everyday things repurposed in creative ways.

    Secondly, I am SO ashamed that I've not had the fortune of reading your blog before today. *clutches virtual pearls*.

    Thank you for commenting on my blog and enlightening me. I can wait to peel back the layers of The Elegant Thrifter.

    Hugs,
    TBS

    ReplyDelete
  6. hasn't that silly critic ever played scrabble?? duh! i am growing more and more anxious for Christmas morning when i find "The Find" under the tree!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin