Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fabulous & Fun: A Texas Getaway

Looking for a nostalgic Texas getaway next summer? Well I think I might have found one at a retro-riffic cabin on Lake Diversion, Texas, crafted by the extremely talented college student Mickey Jordan over at Everyone Goes to Mick's.

At the age of 14, going on 15, Mickey says he purchased the cabin for a total of $310 and received the deed on Easter Sunday, 2005. Now you do the math.

What was once a dump of a two-and-a-half room cabin with no electricity, a porch that had its screen painted moth-pink and a window that was completely painted over has been transformed into the "Casablanca Hotel & Resort," complete with its own drive-in theater! Thanks to Mickey's loving touch, hard work and a dedication to bringing back injecting a 1950s charm into the derelict abode, it is now a heartwarming sight to behold.

While Casablanca is now closed for the season, Mickey made a slideshow so you can go visit it right now.
video
Be sure to make your reservation for next year!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. I am IN, baby! I found Mick a few weeks ago and he is a total pea in our pod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. i want to line up my chairs & project a flick now. and then go to texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I should give credit where due....I discovered Mick via Sonya at Dime Store Thrift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stan! Thanks for the wonderful post! Before My lease holder freaks out, I need ot say Its NOT an actual hotel! haha(Just to make it clear) Thanks again for blogging about me! I'll have more fun finds up later today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stan, you are so sweet to show it, that's the best little makeover I've seen in years, by such a young guy??? Fantastic sense for the era and style. Gorgeous, would come a spend a few nights anytime!
    Mick, if you happen to read this! Fabulous!
    Fun, fun, fun!

    Stan, thanks for the lovely dedication (for the book), it arrived a few days ago in my mailbox! Juhu! THANKS!

    XX
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to reiterate what Nick just said....it's not really a hotel. I knew it, but was just having fun. Even so, I'm planning on a visit for sure!

    Stan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin