Monday, November 23, 2009

The Object of My Desire: Behind the Queen's Doors

A treasure can be almost anything that has a soul -- something that has lived a life full of memories and brings to the present its regal provenance or scintillating story. Or this glorified object might just be so inspiring in its presence that whatever history woven around it-- imagined or real -- is fulfilling solely for its charm and inspiration.

That's the kind of object I stumbled upon when I met the enchanting Emilie-Marie who runs a jewel of a vintage and antiques shop in West Palm Beach Florida just down the road from Gardenhouse where we celebrated The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift. You'll want to visit her, too, at her new blog emiliemarieliving.blogspot.com.

I could tell that Emilie was genuinely intriguing, especially when I saw this door leaning against the wall behind her sales counter. (Never mind the fire extinguisher in the photo. I was so fixated on the door when I shot this image that I didn't even notice it hanging there!)

I gasped as I laid my gaping eyes on a logo that appeared to be those of Marie-Antoinette, and could barely contain my excitement as Emilie told me the story of how she found four doors in France that called her name. She explained that since everything at Versailles had been
destroyed on the fabled queen's demise, it's almost impossible to authenticate them as much as she has tried.

While the signature details -- the intertwined initials and the flourishes that surround them, are spot-on for identifying them, no sketches of them exist, nor is there any historical data that places them 100 percent in the royal residence. Whether they are actually Marie-Antoinette's doors is up in the air, but she has been able to date them back to the same era as the queen, and either way they conjure up dreamy imagery of the royal court of Versailles.

Marie still has two of the doors from her original discovery and at times has advertised them for sale, but she really doesn't seem to want to part with them, and nor would I!

Get ready for my first giveaway that starts next Monday, November 30. I'll give you hints each day as to the thrifty item I procured. It's far from anything as grand as these doors, but it conjured up so many funny memories of my childhood that I had to have it....maybe just for you!

The Elegant Thrifter

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how beautiful! Even without an ironclad provenance, it is an amazing piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful write-up. thank you so very much. or should I say Mille Grazie! when in Rome....and all that.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin