Friday, November 6, 2009

The Gift of Thrift: Trash Talk


Having lived in a New York City apartment for more than 20 years -- not the same one continuously, though -- I'm always amazed at the true treasures that you can find in the compactor room.

Now I didn't find this little ceramic elephant planter, but Veli did. He somehow sneaked it into the apartment, gave it a thorough scrubbing, wrapped it up and gave it to me as a gift last week. In a small flower pot, he combined a cactus with an African violet, which by the way, bloomed on my birthday, proving that some of the best gifts are absolutely free -- or can even be found in the rubbish!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

Remember to RSVP to Gardenhouse Decor when it hosts The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details. Special decorating guests featured in The Find Randall Beale of Beale-Lana will be there along with Carl & Co.'s Mark Ciolli.

Tell your friends!

Thursday, November 12

6:00 to 8:00 PM

Gardenhouse Decor

437 Northwood Road
West Palm Beach, FL 33407

RSVP to 561-832-8260




6 comments:

  1. Good Morning Stan... you are always fabulous so I nominated you for an award... http://proper-prim.blogspot.com/2009/11/i-am-so-excited.html to check it out... Hope you have a great day...

    Hugs Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe Stan, he is a sweet little fellow in a big way.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great little find! How sweet! I love that it bloomed on your b-day....makes it all the more special.

    Have a great weekend!
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Free stuff makes my day. I am always amazed how it shows up in the strangest places. I picked up a mid century modern painting the other day that was leaning up against a chain link fence with a crudely written "free" sign. I couldn't stop my van quick enough to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin