Friday, November 13, 2009

The Gift of Thrift: All Aflutter

When I go to garage sales and thrift shops, I always have a short list of friends in mind in case I find the perfect gift for the appropriate occasion. Such was the case when I found these African butterfly wing art pieces at a garage sale last spring in Los Angeles with, or course, my best thrift shopping pal Ruth Handel.

The woman who sold us these colorful specimen said her parents had acquired the pieces in Africa when they toured the country during the 1970s in their Volkswagon van! Made from wings found on the ground and not harvested from live butterflies, the pieces are very delicate and one was missing a few wings. Even so, how could I pass up these examples of intricate handwork with a price tag of $5? I found loose butterfly wings at The Evolution Store just down the block in SoHo, replaced the absent parts -- et voilĂ  -- a gift suitable for my social butterfly of a fabulous friend, Bevy Smith!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

8 comments:

  1. These are so lovely. What a wonderful find.
    I am absolutely giddy this morning since tomorrow I am off to thrift in the early morning. Ohhhhhh the treasures that await!

    Have a lovely weekend,
    LuLu Kellogg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out and your posts are also treasures!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should be out garage sailing... my sails are empty but I think a payday might be around the corner! Love that find.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely find and gift. So so beautiful. I wish I had your gift Stan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How amazing, these are stunning. I have never seen anything like it before. What people are making, it's incredible as much as you great eye to find them!

    Have a thrifty weekend!
    Lot's of finds!

    XX
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the proud recipient of these beautiful works of art, I'm just so awed by my friend Stan William's ability to FIND just the right gift ALWAYS! I think we can all take a page out of his book "The Find" and buy gifts that connect with the recipient but without breaking the bank!

    xoxo,

    Bevy aka Black Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow those are really beautiful and I bet very delicate... oh my. The right gift indeed :)

    charming

    ReplyDelete
  8. Until you told me about the butterfly wings, I did not even see them. Such beautiful artistry! Nice find (or shall I say capture). ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin