Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Find: Mantiques....Grrrrr!

A few days ago when I posted a studly lamp created out of old car parts from WhisperWood Cottage, I was reminded by The Antiques Diva of a term that Simon Doonan, the fabulon behind the windows at Barneys New York, taught me: Mantique.

He pulled out this term as we were shopping in Housing Works to find wild home accessories and come up with innovative -- and hilarious-- uses for them. After perusing the shop for fewer than five minutes, his eyes fixed on a pair of resin tusks mounted on a silver sand. He identified them as a mantique, something so dripping in testosterone that it should be treated with the utmost of respect.

The Antiques Diva told me how her husband once took the grill from a 1930s Peugeot and turned it into wall art for his bathroom. I can only just imagine how that revved up the space.

Why, there's even a shop in New York called Mantiques Modern dedicated to manly accessories, such as mounted guns and mechanical gears. I especially like this Mid-century jackhammer turned home d├ęcor!

"Even the most feminine of atmospheres needs at least one mantique," Simon says in The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details, since too much estrogen for anyone is not a good thing, "but for a healthy balance, a mantique is de rigeur."

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous... even though I shaved off my mantique!

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. My husband can get his fill of mantiques in his workshop. No mantiques in MY house, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no you didn't! However will we be able to recognize and find you now???!!!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite "mantique" item is a pipe wrench from the Victorian age that puts some torque into a tabletop desk arrangement - perfectly at home with cabbage roses in ironstone. Thankfully, the modern versions are more functional or my dear hubby would have ran off with it long ago...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine...I pity that poor man...Cause I just love this post...Mantiques coming up...I love them.
    Lee
    Antlers, hunting dogs, swords and the list goes on and on and on

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, sheer genius and word-tastic decorating tips from Stan Williams, our hero!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mantiques are a must for creating that balance! I think that is why I am drawn to industrial pieces. They integrate so well with cottage decor. Thanks for sharing the terminology and the history! You are so fabulous, Stan!!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin