Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Fabulous & Frugal Fun: Free Streets

I always tell people that the streets of New York are a treasure trove of goodies that you'll never find in a store, and quite often, absolutely without a price tag.

Just last week I walked by this trash heap, and as you can see, it's anything but garbage. If the velvet wing chair wasn't enough, right next to it was this mid-century vanity, complete with a beveled mirror in perfect condition sitting right next to it.

I had no way of hauling this stuff home, and if I did, well, I can't imagine where I would have put it. Instead, I snapped this picture with my BlackBerry and crossed my fingers that someone with good thrift karma, and a van, would soon pass by.

Get ready for tomorrow on West Palm Beach and RSVP to Gardenhouse Decor when it hosts The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details. Special decorating guests featured in The Find Randall Beale of Beale-Lana will be there along with Carl & Co.'s Mark Ciolli.

Tell your friends!

Thursday, November 12

6:00 to 8:00 PM

Gardenhouse Decor

437 Northwood Road
West Palm Beach, FL 33407

RSVP to 561-832-8260

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

7 comments:

  1. I would have tied that chair to my back to get it home!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how to leave such lovelies on the street! I also hope someone was able to rescue them. I would have had a hard time leaving the vanity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that someone would throw those away. What a crime. The vanity is especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know....and it killed me to leave them. However, I know the corner is a frequent repository of trashy treasures, so my bet is that the vanity -- at lest the vanity, for goodness sake, found a deserving home!

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! I've just been checking on our town's website and I've discovered that our next 'ramassage des encombrants' will be in two week's time... I'll be out on my bike, scanning the streets for any useful finds (and then dashing home for the estate car if necessary!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm proudly guilty [is that a term?] of dragging a '50s chest of drawers off the curb & down the street from our old digs. It's the most perfect piece of furniture in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Stan! I would have stopped a stranger on the street and asked for help in getting those things home!
    I'm sorry you couldn't make the trip to Paris this year. I've never been, but have a dream of visiting with my daughter some day. I know we would both enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin