Thursday, October 29, 2009

Reuse & Repurpose: Tin Man Alley

On one of last week's final Indian Summer days, I took a sun-drenched stroll through New York City's East Village and happened upon La Plaza Cultural Armando Perez. Now I'm certain I've walked by this corner many times, but I can't imagine how I managed to miss this massive display of trash turned into a whimsical wonder.

The fairy tale botanicals twist and climb atop the fence encircling the community garden and gathering spot, and made me imagine the kinds of objects The Tin Man from "The Wizard of Oz" might be inclined to make.

Who ever is responsible for this work of street art took great pains in cutting tin cans of all shapes and sizes, fashioning them into flowers, and embellishing them with wires and paint. Even old plastic detergent and vegetable oil bottles transform into funny faces and fantastic spokes on magical wheels, and container lids become colorful pendants, hung at interesting intervals through out this trash heap turned fence garden.

I was so taken with this sculptural fantasy that I'd like to share some of the photos I captured.





Doesn't this just make your imagination wander?

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

When you're finished here, be sure to head over to Fiona and Twig for a fabulous giveaway that includes a copy of The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details!




4 comments:

  1. That looks like it took a lot of time. Very neat!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what Stan? I think someone made all of these awesome creations just for you, knowing it was your birthday month ;)

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, MY LITTLE FABULOUS THRIFTY FRIEND!!!!!

    I'm so glad you took the time to tiptoe through the tulips and smell the flowers AND share it with us...you are such a doll!

    Here's a birthday smooch,
    everything vintage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only in New York! I lived there for 16 years and miss it still! (gave up my rent-controlled apartment in 2003.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! My boys have a movie they love to watch called Robots. Have you seen it? All this art reminded me of that movie. Thanks for sharing your pics. I will show them to my boys. I know they will enjoy them, too!

    Have a great weekend!
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin