Friday, October 16, 2009

The Gift of Thrift: A Toy Story

Now who doesn't love a celebratory tabletop that conveys a consistent, established theme from the moment the invitation is sealed and stamped to the arrival of the big day when excited guests arrive and are awe-struck by the glorious scenario that awaits them?

I felt like a guest at such a party when I perused the tabletop competition at the Los Angeles County Fair back in September. There were dozens of fanciful and festive displays set up and imaginative ideas abound, but this First Place winner caught my eye among the rest for demonstrating how to add an innovative spark to what you have might lying around the house or stuffed into cupboards and turn it into a fabulous fĂȘte for a special girl or boy.

A certain Cristel Schoenfelder received a perfect score for her "Toy Story" inspired party setting. I can imagine that she might have found her inspiration in a child's toy box, and then built her entire tabletop based on her established theme. A stand-out among this tablescape is the menu displayed on an Etch A Sketch. I can't imagine physically twisting and turning the knobs on this gadget to write out the menu out on this screen, and neither could she, apparently.

Instead, she took graphite colored paper and mimicked the writing that one would achieve when using this classic toy. It fooled me and my pal Ruth Handel for a few minutes as we oohed and awed over this thrifty gift of a table setting!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. THIS is AWESOME! Ohhhh, I wanna do it for Bud's Bday party!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's bad enough I can't table-scape my way out of a plastic bag...now I have to know there are people of this caliber? Oh man. I'm giving up and using paper plates for ever and ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to come by and welcome you to my blog. I look forward to getting to know you, so don't be a stranger. I think you can add alot of insight to my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stan, Thank you for visiting my blog. To answer your question about finding pumpkin, yesterday I bought four cans of pumpkin but also went to our local veggie market and bought several fresh pumpkins. One of which is a white pumpkin that is sweeter than most sugar pumpkins and I plan to prepare a Pumpkin Bisque this week. I will take photos and post on my blog along with my recipe. I have not had a chance to make my pumpkin bars today but will tomorrow afternoon and will take a pic or two to post on my blog as well.

    I had read and seen on the news on TV that pumpkins were in short supply this year in many parts of the country which is why so many people are not finding much canned pumpkin. Apparently here in N FL we have a plentiful supply.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how cute and clever is that? Thank you for sharing this fabulous idea. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to say that I'm happy to have wandered over to your blog. Love The Find. As a single mom for years (of my now grown daughter), I couldn't have survived as well as we did without second-hand shops, which I still love, shop at, create from.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin