Friday, August 28, 2009

The Gift of Thrift: A Thank-You Note

A mysterious manila envelope arrived at my door with an unfamiliar return address in Sioux City, Iowa. What in the world could this be? I shook it and nothing moved. I squeezed it, but it made no noise. I was speechlessly stumped!

But having always loved opening a surprise, I threw caution to the wind only to find a vintage-paper wrapped parcel inside -- no markings, no note. Hmmm, someone was up to something and the Sioux City address was starting to sink in. Why if it wasn't a package from that clever Sonya over at Dime Store Thrift ....yep, the one who tricked me into giving her my pineapple upside-down cake recipe a while back. Just look at what what she sent me!

I immediately wrote Sonya:

Dear Rich Maid,


Thank you for my relish fork AND petite tongs. I will be easily picking up my olives, onions, pickles, cherries, ice cubes, relishes, anchovies and canapes thanks to this 49-cent combo offer! I have always hated sticking my fingers into a jar to fish out a slippery olive resulting in a spurt of expletives when the pimento wriggles free. I'll spear those olives with my relish fork and then nab those pesky pimentos swimming out of my reach with those oh-so-petite tongs!

Trying to spear a chunk of butter for my morning oatmeal.....

The Elegant Thrifter

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!






Pick up The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating with Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details at Borders, Barnes & Noble, Amazon or Powell's.

6 comments:

  1. It is so perfectly elegant! And little enough that it won't cause too much problem in that New York apartment:)
    Glad you liked it,
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute gift. I love it. Aren't bloggers just the greatest. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stan! Nice to meet you! Thank you for your nice comment on my rooster party post!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stan,
    What a fun gift! I'm glad you shared your ever-so-cleverly-worded thank-you note to Sonya.

    I'm looking forward to exploring your blog. Frugal AND fabulous? What's not to like about that???

    Bye for now,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am off to buy your book today....can't wait to look inside it!!!
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your site thru Vonlipi's! Loving it!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin