Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Fabulous & Frugal Fun: A Bright, Sunshiny Day!

This is truly one of my favorite photographs from The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details. Shot by Jim Franco, this image illustrates a vintage tailgate party thrown by the uber-talented Michael Quinn and Heather Kerr. Note their attention to every detail and their liberal use of items easily found at garage sales and thrift stores. I am attracted to the sunny yellow doors at the right topped off with doll heads -- and then what could have possibly been those dolls' former home tucked beneath a table made out of an old door and propped on a frame.

So many of the items living in this room remind me of my childhood. Underneath the window in the back is a step stool that makes me think of the one my Grandma Churchill had in her kitchen, and then right there in the middle of the table is the bean pot I loaned to the display set up in Michael's whimsical Brooklyn apartment. It's the same bean pot given to Mom and Dad on their wedding day back in 1962.

Michael is truly a man of many talents. Why, just yesterday I saw him dance with his Bollywood troupe in the middle of Union Square. He's the tall guy in the back wearing a bright yellow shirt and a pink headband!


For more examples of Michael's inimitable creativity, pick up The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating with Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details at Borders, Barnes & Noble, Amazon or Powell's.


The Elegant Thrifter

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!








3 comments:

  1. I love this space - so cheery and happy! I especially love the banner strung across the space and the mirror collection on the back wall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, Stan!!! Thank you so very much for stopping by my place today! Yes, we actually live 5 blocks North of Nell Hill's... Mary Carol is such a dear woman! While out and about today, I saw her walking downtown with a bushel~ literally, of some type of artificial foliage! It was so cute... almost as big as she was! :) Isn't it really a small world?!

    Your post is just gorgeous, as usual...the yellow shutters caught my eye right away! LOVE them! The banner, the colors~~ it's all sooo yummy looking!

    Have a wonderful day and I'll check back in on you soon, thank you for everything~ I really enjoyed your story... it's always so nice to reminisce, and hear from you!

    Christina :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors, they make me happy. Yep...This room is PERFECT for a party! If you have one here, can I pleeease be invited? :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin