Thursday, June 11, 2009

Reuse & Repurpose: Something Cheesey!

I always tell people that when they are thrift shopping and spy something they absolutely love, it doesn't cost much, and it's easy to get home, then buy it.  That's what happened when I was shopping at a Kansas City antiques mall a few years back and ran upon this cheese server.

The little find definitely had me under its milky spell. The bright color attracted me from afar, and the little mouse on top has an irresistible mischievous gaze. The piece isn't marked, other than the name English scratched on the bottom and '91 marking its date. I imagine that some home crafter made this in a ceramics project, and painted and glazed it with care. 

I do love cheese, but the slabs I serve would never fit under this diminutive, mouse-topped dome. I shelled out $5 anyway because I thought this little cheese dome was adorable, but I've never served cheese on this plate. Instead, I keep it in the kitchen where it's the safe keeper of our laundry card. Whenever it's time to wash, all you have to do is pick up the cheese!


For more fabulous fun, pick up a copy of The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating with Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details at BordersBarnes & NobleAmazon or Powell's.

If you're out and about tonight, come by and say hello at The Red House Interiors, 372 N. La Cienega, from 7 to 9!

The Elegant Thrifter

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

1 comment:

  1. I think I'd have snatched him up too. One of my own favorite finds was a Wyandotte rooster with an Easter egg cart (like this one http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3738650) in which I keep my keys. At fifty cents, how could I not?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin