Monday, June 1, 2009

The Object of My Desire: Sweet Surprises

Ever so often, my dad will send me snacks in the mail. He used to send me peanut butter crackers, and then he switched to jars of peanuts when I started watching my food intake more carefully. But in between, he started making me Rice Krispie Treats and boxing them up to ship off from Independence, Missouri, to New York City. I always loved the surprise, and even though he always made quite a batch, they disappeared in a matter of days.

A few weeks ago when Ports 1961 hosted an event to celebrate the launch of The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details, Dad and Mom saved the day by supplying a unique snack to party goers. They made some 300 of these crowd pleasers.

In fact, people went wild for the Rice Krispie Treats, and by the end of the evening, I found two and a half left sitting on the table, having miraculously escaped the clutches of Rice-Krispie-Treat-craving attendees. And a month and a few events later, people who went to the Ports party still ask me where the Rice Krispie Treats -- the best they'd ever tasted -- might be.

Craving a Rice Krispie Treat myself!


For a treat of the vintage variety, pick up a copy of The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating with Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Detailsat Borders, Barnes & Noble, Amazon or Powell's.


The Elegant Thrifter

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous

4 comments:

  1. Had breakfast with your mother this morning. :) I wish I had known to ask her for a Rice Krispie treat!

    I went to Borders yesterday in Olathe to buy your book. I figured ANYONE could have the dumb ol' author sign his book. But not just everyone could get the author's MOTHER's signature!

    Luckily for you - they didn't have your book in stock!!

    Unluckily for me, however.

    Looking forward to seeing you later this month!!! Oh!, and this morning at the Elm Grove retired teachers breakfast (that I crashed!), your mother handed out photocopied (and neatly cut) copies of your book-signing event on the Square from the newspaper. She was rightfully proud!!! (I echoed her every word!)

    Go, Stan, GO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet are your parents....Is the receipe
    a secret?

    XX
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. cough up the recipe.

    Hello,
    I did a little spot on my blog today about you.
    Designer Junk Finder.Found you via Amazon books.
    Your book looks like one I need.
    I am off to Farm Chicks Antique show this weekend in Spokane Wa.I will be posting more on my blog after this show.Stop by my blog and say hi.

    Shay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! It's the recipe on the back of the Rice Krispies box!! Nothing difficult. You can either melt the marshmallows or buy Fluff! Thank you for your nice comments.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin