Friday, June 12, 2009

The Gift of Thrift: In the Red

Being in the red doesn't always have to be a bad thing, especially if it's in The Red House Interiors on La Cienega in Los Angeles. Last night, Michelle Workman opened her gorgeous design firm to toast The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details. Her shop is an amazingly edited mix of elegant vintage items, sumptuous designer fabrics, all updated with touches of modern accessories. 

Senor and Jonona Amor of Jonamor Decor let me take over their kitchen yesterday
 morning so that I could make one of my signature hostess gifts for Michelle: a pineapple upside-down cake. The vintage pan traveled just fine in my packed bags, so all I needed to do was gather my ingredients and  get to baking.

 Once the cake was in the oven, Jonona and I came found a chic silver platter in her garage, which I cleaned up for the cake's presentation. Since the platter was so large, it dwarfed the cake,
 so I added pineapple chunks, fresh strawberries and yellow Ranier cherries to fill up the space.

Here's a picture Michelle and me at last nights event. Aren't we a cute couple!?!

For more celebrations around The Find and  Elegant Thrifter, come see me at Retropia at 1443 N. Highland Ave, 1/2 block South of Sunset, Saturday June 13, from 7 to 10. 


Prep your weekend for a ton of fun with a copy of The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating with Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details at BordersBarnes & NobleAmazon or Powell's.







The Elegant Thrifter

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!


2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! And YES, you are an adorable couple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog. I doubt if I'm and 'elegant thrifter', but I do find some distresed furniture very distressing indeed. Not my cup of tea, things that look like they've been left out in the elements to spoil :o)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin