Friday, May 29, 2009

The Gift of Thrift: What a Dish!

Whether it's an intimate dinner or a mega-big blowout (not the salon kind, even though that sounds like a blast!), I am an advocate of always bringing a hostess gift. Now you could bring some flowers, a scented candle or a bottle of champagne, and I know, it's the thought that counts. But when you get a gift you know the giver spent a little time conceiving, it most certainly makes all the difference. 

One way to inspire gift ideas is to hit the thrift stores, and as I've said before, the thrift gods never disappoint. When I was stumped on what to take a super-creative pal as he hosted a festive party in his home, I started making the rounds. I was rewarded by my last stop was at the Cure Thrift Shop , and was agog at the utter variety of high-quality wares on hand. Immediately, I became transfixed by a gorgeously merchandised dining table with a lovely Fire-King, two-quart casserole dish as its centerpiece. 

I’d never quite seen a Fire-King specimen as amazing as this amber- and gold-tone variety. Usually the pieces I run upon are of the white variety decorated with flowers or are of clear glass. And the bonus? Retro polka dots encircling the lid! A keeper for sure! I loaded it with classic dimestore candy -- orange slices, butterscotch covered nuts, gold wrapped Rollos and Werther’s Original candies -- and offered my host a really sweet dish!



For more decorating dish, pick up a copy of The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating with Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details at BordersBarnes & NobleAmazon or Powell's.  

Back to icing red velvet cupcakes -- The Elegant Thrifter

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

1 comment:

  1. You are so sweet....
    This is so thoughtful and I always try to find special gifts for friends to bring, I often find beautiful hotel silver, small serving dishes for example in thrift stores, they make great gifts too.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin