Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saturday Surprises: Thanks LA!

I have to say I was blown away this morning by the amazing coverage that David Keeps of The LA Times gave me and my pal Ruth Handel for our frugal yet fabulous cocktail party that we threw back in February. I'm attaching the link, here, but be sure to click in the box with the forks in it to see the sidebar. If you can't figure it out, I've added the link to the sidebar here.  

Here's one of the highlights of Ruth's and my party: a "Hint 'O Mint" chocolate cake. It's a basic devil's food  recipe, but I used a box mix for this one. I've made it from scratch, too, with pleasing results, but the showstopping addition for this special concoction is the buttercream  frosting, which is super simple. (I say you can bake a cake from a box, but never use the canned icing!) Buttercream is nothing more than butter, some confectioners sugar and a drop of milk all beat up to a creamy sensation with an electric mixer. For this pale mint treat, I added a couple of drops of green food coloring  a little bit of pure mint extract, and ringed the entire thing in York Peppermint Patties. 

I'm off for the weekend! Be back with you on Tuesday.

For more ideas on how to reuse and repurpose others' castoffs, pick up my book pick up a copy of my book, The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details at BordersBarnes & NobleAmazon or Powell's

The Elegant Thrifter -- Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!






1 comment:

  1. Antique and Retro Shopper's Map loves your blog! We read David Keeps' story in the LA Times last week and discovered your blog. We mentioned the party and your blog in our last post. Thanks for being frugal yet fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin