Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fabulous & Frugal Fun: Giving Shade

It's always about this time of year that I think back fondly to my jet-setting fashion days of traveling twice a year to Europe to witness the men's runway shows. These trips were the highlight of my career as a fashion director, and I loved all the glitz and glamour of seeing the star-studded catwalks, but also getting an inside peak at some of the most gorgeous spaces in both Florence and Milan.

One of my favorite stops in Milan was the Moschino showroom on Via San Gregorio, a place where you could always expect the unexpected. On one trip, I took this photo of a picture frame created in the 1980s by the designer, Franco Moschino, when he was still alive. While I'm sure that this picture frame created out of fancy, Italian Persol sunglasses and costume masks didn't grow out of thrift finds, there's no reason it couldn't have. 

Every time I walk into a thrift store, I see tons of sunglasses for next to nothing. Why not pick up a whole bunch, paint them all one color and hot glue them to an inexpensive frame or mirror? You'd have a designer inspired show stopper  guaranteed to get a second glance.

For more attention getting ideas for decorating your home with thrift and vintage, check out my book, The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details at BordersBarnes & NobleAmazon or Powell's

Just a waiting for the sun to shine -- The Elegant Thrifter

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin