Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sublime Sundays: Have a Loopy Day!

Worlds of Fun opened yesterday!!

As the weather warms, I always think of my all-time favorite job in the 1980s as a photographer at this MidWest theme park. Unfortunately, the exotic Orient Express -- the largest steel roller coaster of its time -- is gone, but the park is still there.

I still remember the whoosh of the air brakes as the rollercoaster cars zoomed into the station, and the distant squeals I could hear all the way across the park as guests hit that very first drop and then a second round as they entered the first full-on loop. I love this picture on the left, because this was what I always hoped to find at the entry...no one waiting in line.

But on gorgeous spring days like today, that was never the case!

Fun in the sun from The Elegant Thrifter -- Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

For some indoor fun, order my book The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details at Amazon, Barnes and Noble or Powell's.

2 comments:

  1. The slow clanking sound of the cars being pulled up to the top of the hill.....and YES!, the whooshing sound of the cars coming to a screeching halt. And the ever-present smell of funnel cakes. Oh!, and the gorgeous hanging baskets. And the music playing overhead. And that damp smell around the Fury of the Nile....

    Good stuff, WOF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Stan! Thank you for the carnival reverie. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin