Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Find: Today's Arrival


I usually reserve this section for inspiration and snippets from my book The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details, but today a very special arrival made its way to my door.

It was a big box brimming with copies of my beautiful book. As I shred off the tape and pulled back the cardboard flaps,  I felt like a kid on Christmas morning.

The arrival was just the boost of self confidence I asked for today. Having put my heart and soul into this project, I sometimes felt like I was on a solitary mission. It was a goal I happily pursued. Hey, I quit a big magazine job to do all this,  but it's easy to be distracted by self-doubt, especially since I was off into territory I had never traveled before. 

I took the chance of a lifetime, one full of laughs and wonderful characters, but also tons of stomach knots, financial fears and sleepless nights.  But for me, just seeing that big box sitting in my hallway is physical proof of an accomplishment. And I might just leave it there for a few days....

As my dear pal Bevy Smith says, "It's in the Library of Congress baby....forever!" Wow!  That's a nice thought to register. 

Feeling humbled and proud - The Elegant Thrifter, Always Frugal, Always Fabulous


For your own copy of The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details, shop at AmazonBarnes and Noble or Powell's.

4 comments:

  1. This makes me so very happy, Stan!

    You did it!
    Damn it; and you did it well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations. the cover looks great. can't wait to buy a copy for myself.

    --Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO EXCITED for you! I can't even imagine how wonderful it was to see that big box and just revel in it. Congratulations on seeing this to its fruitation and enjoy in what is surely coming to you in the following days/weeks/months/years!
    Blessings, Sonya

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin